E-learning – learning accessible to all2023-03-10
Marketing and video games, a long love story?2023-04-11
4 game engines to create your own adventures
Today more than 3 billion people in the world play video games, if you want to know more about it we invite you to read our article.
In summary, the market for free to play games is constantly evolving and more and more users are turning to free and mobile applications, the proof? Well fortnite alone made a turnover of over 40 billion last year. Isn't that crazy?
That's why many developers are looking to create free and mobile games to meet the growing demand. But with so much software available to create video games, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
Unity is one of the most popular game engines for mobile, PC & Console game developers. If you've played video games in the last 5 years, chances are you've played a game made on Unity! From Among Us or Reigns on mobile to Genshin Impact on PC, there is really a great range of graphical quality and systemic complexity on this engine! Unity clearly has its advantages:
- For freelancers, it is free and offers
- great flexibility and allows to create games in 2D and 3D
- Can create both basic and hyper casual games as well as very complex games with large scopes
- The ability to create games on mobile, PC, console and even browser!
- A large online community of developers, making it easy to solve problems and learn new skills.
2. GameMaker Studio
GameMaker Studio is another popular software for creating mobile and PC games, many indie games have been created on this platform, especially roguelikes like Shovel Knight or even Undertale.
- It is easy to use and suitable for both beginners and experienced developers with a more streamlined UI than unity.
- It has a programming language that is both visual and textual allowing beginners to really get to grips with the software while learning the code as they go along
- A directory of templates to help you start your games easily
- It also has a large online community and offers a variety of tools for creating 2D games.
3. Solar 2D
A very easy to use engine which itself uses lua, this engine is perfect for a beginner who wants to start developing 2D mobile games (only). Notably, hyper casual hit games are developed on this engine such as I Love Hue, which has over 5 million downloads on the google store!
- It is easy to use and suitable for beginners, with a simple syntax and an intuitive API.
- It allows you to create games for multiple platforms, including iOS and Android.
- It has a large library of modules and plugins to extend its functionality and facilitate development.
- It provides simulation tools to allow developers to test their game on a wide range of devices and resolutions.
- It also has a large online community to help developers solve problems and share their games.
Indeed, Booyah can also be used to create mobile games. Although it is not a game creation software per se, HTML5 is a web technology that allows to create games for web browsers and mobile applications. Here are some of its key features:
- It is widely used and compatible with all major web browsers and mobile operating systems.
- It offers tools and libraries to create graphics and animations, such as Canvas and WebGL.
- It is easy to distribute and update, as you can simply publish the game online or integrate it into a web application.
- It offers great flexibility for developers and can be used to create mobile games of all sizes and complexities.
What is the best solution?
Choosing the right engine for your needs depends on your technical skills and usability preferences. Each of the above mentioned software offers unique features to facilitate the creation of mobile games. Whatever you choose, make sure the features meet your expectations before you go!
- Unity: has a complete panel that allows you to do both 3D and 2D, difficult to learn but used by most developers
- GameMaker studio: a visual and textual programming language, a smooth and easy experience for a beginner
- Solar 2D: High capacity with its plugins, a fast workflow to publish games on your smartphones!